The Ha’wiih Council is integrated by the Hereditary Chiefs who represent seven houses. They provide the Huu-ay-aht Government with advice and take care of protocol during cultural events.
Its current members are:
- Derek Peters (Tliishin) – ʔApwinisatḥʔ
- Jeff Cook (Yaalthuu-a)- Yaałuuwaštak̕amałtḥ
- Victor Williams (Waiḥeyakchik)- ƛamahuus
- Andy Clappis (Siichaachisht’uulth) – Kuukw’iis
- Tom Happynook (Hupinyuk) – Čačaaḥsiʔas
- Bill Frank (ƛ̕aacmiik)
- Darlene Nookemus (ʔemptiss) – Ḥaw’eḥtak’amłatḥ
According to the Constitution Act:
2.13 There shall be constituted an advisory body to the Huu-ay-aht First Nations Council
composed of the Huu-ay-aht Ha’wiih, to be known as the Ha’wiih Council.
2.14 Representation on the Ha’wiih Council shall be determined in accordance with
2.15 Prior to passing any laws, the Huu-ay-aht First Nations Council must seek and consider
any advice from the Ha’wiih Council.
2.16 In addition to the role contemplated in 2.15, the Ha’wiih Council shall assume those
additional roles and responsibilities contemplated in this Constitution.
Huu-ay-aht First Nations