The ḥaw̓iiḥ Council is integrated by the Hereditary Chiefs who represent seven houses. They provide the Huu-ay-aht Government with advice and take care of protocol during cultural events.
Its current members are:
- Vacant – ʔApwinisatḥʔ house
- Jeff Cook (Yał luu a)- Yaałuuwaštak̕amałtḥ house
- Phyllis Williams sitting in for daughter Victoria Williams (ʔuutstuʔaksa)- ƛamahuus house
- Andy Clappis (Ciicaacistuł) – Kuukw’iis house
- Tommy Happynook (hiininaasim) – Čačaaḥsiʔas house
- Alec Frank (ƛaacmiik) – Maatsaas house
- Theresa Nookemus – Ḥaw’eḥtak’amłatḥ house
According to the Constitution Act:
2.13 There shall be constituted an advisory body to the Huu-ay-aht First Nations Council composed of the Huu-ay-aht ḥaw̓iiḥ, to be known as the ḥaw̓iiḥ Council.
2.14 Representation on the ḥaw̓iiḥ Council shall be determined in accordance with customary practices.
2.15 Prior to passing any laws, the Huu-ay-aht First Nations Council must seek and consider any advice from the ḥaw̓iiḥ Council.
2.16 In addition to the role contemplated in 2.15, the ḥaw̓iiḥ Council shall assume those additional roles and responsibilities contemplated in this Constitution.
Huu-ay-aht First Nations