Are you looking forward to be part of our value-based organization? The Huu-ay-aht Strategic Plan establishes as one of our goals to become an ’Employer of Choice’ in the Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District. In order to foster a dedicated, skilled and healthy workforce, Huu-ay-aht First Nations pays a living wage instead of a minimum salary to all of its employees. The Nation also offers a wide range of benefits available after a three-month probationary period, i.e. medical insurance, discounts in local gyms, social club, continuing education, free tickets for events, cultural and other social activities. We believe in a collaborative teamwork approach, making a significant investment in the future and building a long-term relationship with our staff.
Steps to join us
- Check the “work with us” section within the site for any positions available that suit your profile.
- Subscribe to AV Employment, Job Bank, and read the local newspapers too. We post the jobs for two weeks internally and externally.
- Do your homework! Get to know our professional values and who we are, and what we are up to by viewing our website and checking out our latest news.
- Prepare your resume and cover letter.
- Apply within.
- If you are already one of our employees, keep in mind that your qualifications must match the new role you would like to undertake.
- Our interview panel is composed of the Human Resources Manager, the Director or Manager of the corresponding department and a Huu-ay-aht Citizen.
- Together, the panel will view those who applied and select the successful candidates.
- Did you get a call from our Human Resources Department? Congratulations! It is time to get ready!
- The Director or Manager of the department you are applying to will come up with a series of technical questions to be added to the behavioural (value-based ones) for your interview.
The questions are point-based (100 points):
- Technical – 5 points per questions for a total of 30 points.
- Behavioural – 10 points per question for a total of 60 points.
- Reference checks – 10 points.
Each member of the panel gives their marks.
- Now you know what to expect! Take your resume and think of how your personal and professional experiences fit our values. It is important to have hobbies and balance in your life. We hire human beings not robots!
- Interviews can be done in person or remotely (Zoom or Teams).
- Following the interview, the panel will collect their marks and select successful candidates and follow with reference checks.
- The whole process can take up to eight weeks:
- Job posting – two weeks.
- Another week to select resumes.
- Get them to the panel to be reviewed – one week.
- Interviews are scheduled the following week.
- Two weeks to do the reference checks.
- Final week after reference checks, the hiring panel comes together to determine the final verdict of who the successful candidate for the position is
- If the panel is faced with a tie, it is brought to the Executive Director to make the final decision.
Welcome to the team!