Are you looking forward to be part of our value-based organization? The Huu-ay-aht Strategic Plan establishes as one of our goals to become an ’Employer of Choice’ in the Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District. In order to foster a dedicated, skilled and healthy workforce, Huu-ay-aht First Nations pays a living wage instead of a minimum salary to all of its employees. The Nation also offers a wide range of benefits available after a three-month probationary period, i.e. medical insurance, discounts in local gyms, social club, continuing education, free tickets for events, cultural and other social activities. We believe in a collaborative teamwork approach, making a significant investment in the future and building a long-term relationship with our staff.
Steps to join us
- Check the “Looking for work?” section within the site for any positions available that suit your profile.
- Subscribe to WorkBC, JobsBank and read the local newspapers too. We post the jobs for two weeks internally and externally.
- Do your homework! Get to know our professional values and what we are up to through local, national and international media.
- Prepare your resume and cover letter.
- Apply within.
- If you are already one of our employees, keep in mind that your qualifications must match the new role you would like to undertake.
- Our interview panel is composed of the Human Resources Manager, the Director or Manager of the corresponding department and another member of the managerial staff/Director.
- Its members receive and analyze the copies of the resumes. They select the top eight. Then, they agree on four.
- Did you get a call from our cheerful Human Resources Department? Congratulations! It is time to get ready!
- The Director or Manager of the area will come up with a series of technical questions to be added to the behavioural (value-based ones) for your interview.
The questions are point-based (100 points):
- Technical – 5 pts e/o for a total of 30 points.
- Behavioural – 10 pts e/o for a total of 60 points.
- Reference checks – 10 pts.
Each member of the panel gives his marks.
- Now you know what to expect! Take your resume and think of how your personal and professional experiences fit our values. It is important to have hobbies and balance in your life. We hire human beings not robots!
- Interviews can be done in person or via Skype. Look your best, relax and be aware of your body language. You will enjoy the process!
- The top two or three candidates are selected after the interviews. Then the panel agrees on one.
- Our Executive Director is informed about who the successful candidate is and given the reasons for this choice. He is the ultimate decision maker. In that meeting, the salary is suggested.
- The whole process can take up to eight weeks:
- Job posting – two weeks.
- Another week to select resumes.
- Get them to the panel to be reviewed – one week.
- Interviews are scheduled the following one.
- Two weeks to do the reference checks.
- Final week, the Executive Director makes the decision.
Welcome to the team!