Effective as of August 1, all open fires will be prohibited throughout the Coastal Fire Centre’s jurisdiction including the Fog Zone.
The following activities are prohibited within the specified area:
- Category 2 open fires – an open fire, excluding a campfire, that burns piled material no larger than two metres high and three metres wide, or grass over an area less than 0.2 hectares (2000 square metres) in size.
- Category 3 open fires – a fire that burns material in piles larger than two metres high and three metres wide, windrows, or grass over an larger than 0.2 hectares (2000 square metres) in size.
- Fires burning woody debris in outdoor stoves
- The use of tiki torches
- Sky lanterns
- Burning barrels or burning cages of any size or description
- The use of binary exploding targets (e.g. for rifle target practice)
To report a wildfire or open burning violation, call 1 800 663-5555 toll-free or *5555 on a cellphone. For the latest information on current wildfire activity, burning restrictions, road closures and air quality advisories, go to: http://www.bcwildfire.ca