The Community Arts Council of the Alberni Valley in collaboration with the City of Port Alberni is looking for artists to design original, permanent murals to be installed at Echo Aquatic Centre.
They are following the success of last year with a second series of murals of various sizes that will cover the walls of Echo Pool. The murals will be made out of aluminum composite panels and will be painted with a specific paint (no exceptions).
This project will create distinctive pieces of art that will:
- Increase the vibrancy and artistic richness of our community pool by making art part of the environment
- Heighten public awareness and appreciation of the visual arts with the area
- Stimulate the creation of new works of art and growth of the visual arts
- Provide a visual intensity of public art that creates an exciting and unique sense of place
- Enliven the space and create a distinct ambience
- Improve the sense of community pride in Echo Aquatic Centre
- Celebrate community spirit
- Highlight the beauty of our west coast aquatics
- Enhance and enrich the experience for all users
- Encourage participation in aquatic and other physical activities
- Engage the artistic community in a unified project
- Increase the profile of artists and develop the opportunity to for the community to recognize their talent
- Build connections between the visual arts community and recreational groups
Wall at the west end of Echo Aquatic Centre, 4255 Wallace St, Port Alberni. (See example of the Project-Phase 1 below.)
Each artist will have choice of sizes of aluminum composite panels to choose from. Size options are 8’ x 4’, 4’ x 4’, and 8’ x 2’.Artists will be responsible for returning the supplies and finished piece upon completion by July 15, 2016.
The City of Port Alberni and the Community Arts Council will be responsible for hanging the work. This year’s theme will be Alberni Valley Aquatics – Healthy Living
Each artist will be supplied with the following materials at no cost to the artist:
- Aluminum composite panel(s)
- Acrylic paint (20 pre-selected colours will be available)
This project will not be a commissioned piece to the artist but rather a gift to the City of Port Alberni. The completed mural will become the property of the City of Port Alberni. Our group is committed to respecting the talents of our artists. We value the time and work needed to accomplish these murals and we are dedicated to making the project beneficial to both the artists and the community at large.
Appreciation for your participation will include:
- An invitation to an exclusive “revealing” that will coincide with the re-opening of Echo Aquatic Centre after the annual maintenance shutdown in September 2016
- A permanent plaque that will be displayed at the pool with the names of the artists. The plaque will honour their mural and acknowledge their contribution.
- Media releases
- Inclusion in the booklet highlighting the artists and the project. We are asking
- artists to submit a short bio to accompany their artist statement.
This opportunity is open to all artists residing in the Alberni Valley and the surrounding area
- Completed application form including full details of art work (attached)
- The number and size of panels you will require (see Project Details for sizes)
- Clear photos that are representative of your style of work
- History of art background, if any
- Your statement (30 – 50 words) detailing your inspiration for your work for this project
- A selection panel of representatives from the Community Arts Council of the Alberni Valley and the City of Port Alberni will review submissions
- The selection panel will make a decision by mid-January 2016, and artists will be notified by January 23, 2016
- The selection panel reserves the right to reject any or all of the proposals submitted
- The City of Port Alberni and the Community Arts Council reserve the right to use images on the concept designs, written proposals, scale models and finished work for educational and promotional purposes
- Relevance of proposal to site and thematic originality using “Alberni Valley Aquatics – Healthy Living” them and supplied colours
- Artistic merit, imagination and innovation using theme and colours provided
Application Deadline – January 15, 2016
Announcement of finalists – January 23, 2016
Artist Orientation – February 6, 2016 (at Gyro Youth Centre 3245 7th Ave, Port Alberni) Completion of Project – July 15, 2016
Unveiling of Murals – September 12, 2016
For additional information contact:
Melissa at 250-724-3412 or email email@example.com
Karen at 250-720-2509 or email Karen_freethy@portalberni.ca