HFN encourages Huu-ay-aht children to attend school regularly. Regular attendance in school helps children keep up with their studies and peers, makes it easier to learn to read and can build a child’s confidence. Good attendance in school also sets the stage for the rest of their lives to do well in high school, college and at work.
Huu-ay-aht First Nations’ students completing Grade 1 through 12 are eligible to apply for attendance recognition at the end of every school year. Please submit attendance summary for entire academic year (September 2014 – June 2015).
HFN also recognizes academic achievement for students who have completed Grades 4 through 12 with a GPA of at least 6.0 (a “B” average). Please submit all marks from the academic year (individual report cards or year-end summary of marks).
Huu-ay-aht citizens may apply for the 2015 student recognition program until September 30, 2015.
Recognition rate is based on grade level & attendance of 10 months/185 days in a school year
Grades 1 through 9: $10.00 / month = $ 100.00
Grades 10 through 12: $20.00 /month = $ 200.00
- Recognition is based on attendance. There are 185 days in a school year.
- Students are permitted 15 days of absences for illness during the school year. If more than 15 absences are reported, the student may qualify for a reduced recognition amount. Students do not qualify for attendance recognition if they are absent for 35 or more days during the school year.
- Students in self-paced learning/home schooling do not qualify for the attendance recognition program.
- Honour Roll recognition is for students in Grades 4 through 12 for students with a “B” Grade Point Average (GPA) through the year.
- Honour Roll recognition will be calculated automatically based on report card.
- This average is calculated using A = 7, B = 6, C+ = 5, etc. The total numbers of courses taken throughout the year are added together; the student is eligible for recognition if the average is above 6.
- Eligible students with a GPA of at least 6 for the year (summary of all report cards for the year) will be awarded Honour Roll recognition of $150.
If you have any Question/Concerns, please contact the Secondary & Post-Secondary Education Coordinator at the Port Alberni Huu-ay-aht Government Office. Forms may be mailed, faxed, or scanned and e-mailed.
E-form (Please remember to email the attachments to email@example.com)