In an effort to make the People’s Assembly accessible to as many citizens as possible, Huu-ay-aht First Nations is offering assistance with travel. But if you want to take advantage of these offers, we need to hear from you as soon as possible.
This is what you need to know about:
- Ferry cards are available for both directions if requested by Sunday, November 23 (email email@example.com). After that, Huu-ay-aht will be offering return fare only. In order to get a ferry card, we must know: how many adult travelers, how many children (5-11, 0-4), whether it is a group or an individual travelling, whether it is a walk-on.
2) Driving your own vehicle:
- Gas cards are available, but carpooling is encouraged. Gas cards will be given to drivers with two or more voting citizens in the vehicle (unless your car is at capacity with kids)
- Gas cards are for citizens coming from outside of Port Alberni to the People’s Assembly. The value will be determined based on region:
o Anacla (and surrounding areas) $50
o Duncan and Vancouver (and surrounding areas) $50
o Nanaimo (and surrounding areas) $25
o Victoria (and surrounding areas) $75
- Gas cards can be claimed at the Assembly, and under special circumstances can be mailed if requested by Monday, November 24 (email firstname.lastname@example.org)
3) Taking the bus:
- Pre-paid, reserved bus tickets will be issued if requested by Monday, November 24 (email email@example.com) through Greyhound and Tofino Express Bus. When requesting bus tickets, we must know how many adults, seniors, children, students and infants are travelling.
- In order to pick up your tickets, you will need to provide ID and/or provide a password. This password will be provided to you upon request when you call the office to confirm.
4) Staying in a hotel:
- Rooms will be available for all citizens, however due to overflow some citizens will be staying at the Best Western Barclay hotel while others will be staying at the Hospitality Inn. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250-723-0100 to confirm where you are staying.
- While the cost of a room will be covered, if you require any extra services (i.e. ordering movies, using the bar fridge etc.) you will need to provide your own credit card number to the hotel.
- Child minding will be offered by staff who are experienced in child development and have their first aid certificate. They will be leading activities throughout the weekend to keep your child happy and entertained.
- Toys, water, crafts will be provided
- If your child requires a nap, please bring something (stroller, etc.) for he/she to sleep in and a blanket. Please bring a change of clothes for your child.